Read Write Discover is actively recruiting interested high school students to coordinate for Summer 2019 at 11 library branches across the South Bay and San Francisco!
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so applying early is highly encouraged! Selected applicants will be contacted via email to proceed to our interview round.
- Priority of the Coordinator position will be given to nominated Summer 2018 tutors.
- Each Coordinator must fill out their own application.
What are the expectations of a Coordinator?
The RWD Coordinator must be mature, responsible, hardworking, and committed to improving the literacy of their learners. A strong Coordinator has the ability to communicate with a variety of people and organizations, maintain professionalism at all times, and meet challenges readily. As the leader of his/her site, the Coordinator is the point person for the library, learners’ families, and tutors. Coordinators will be busier at the start and end of the program due to the additional preparation required at these times. Though the bulk of the work will be required during the summer, there is some preparation work that must be completed during the school year.
What are some examples of the duties of a Coordinator?
- Engaging with the learners to ensure that their needs are met
- Coordinating the tutor/learner pairings and groupings
- Working with librarians to outreach to schools, approve volunteer hours, and select appropriate literacy materials
- Motivating and leading a team of tutors, from the selection process to lesson plan preparation
- Communicating with parents about learners’ progress and program logistics
- Planning events such as Family Orientation, Tutor Trainings, Learning Activity ,and Awards Ceremony
- Any actions required to create an optimal learning environment for learners’ growth and progress
If you have any questions, please contact RWD’s Executive Director Sarah Heraldo at firstname.lastname@example.org